Living the dream

A highland existence interspersed with regular travels and running a charity in Nepal

Off piste big time - Silverton Mountain, Colorado, 21 Jan 2011

James and I went over the high pass from Ouray to Silverton, in the heart of the San Juan Mountains. Above Silverton is a ski operation with a difference. One lift, guided skiing only, acres of off piste terrain, Colorado powder snow, hikes to new lines, high altitude, loadsamoney!

I might be smiling here, but later on my thighs were burning!! I rented K2 fat skis for powder and they literally murdered my legs trying to steer them through tight chutes and trees all morning. So much so that for the last two runs I reverted to my favourite Pocket Rockets.

Silverton Mountain is all about skiing powder snow. James laying down a track.

And taking a rest ................................................................................................!!

All but one run involved some hiking, this one a big hike at over 12,000 feet hard work!

But the drop into a steep couloir led to an immense powder slope.

Set amidst majestic snowy peaks of the San Juan Range

Spot the only skier in this landscape..............a Silverton powder field. Worth the walk?

Probably! Worth the money? Probably!

No comments: